Monday, July 23, 2007

First Impressions


It's pretty hard to sum up all of what we have seen (and heard...the DR is loud!), but we have had a great first week. Terry and Jill have been playing the role of host and hostess and have showed us around their town. It is quite an adventure learning to drive and find your way around the many twisting streets. Part of the adventure is not having a phone and internet yet, so I am posting this from Terry and Jill's apartment. The pictures are just what happens to be on my camera! I thought I'd just give you a little shot of the streets and a little Sunday afternoon hanging about at the "Confluencia"(kind of like our "Forks", but with nothing to do but to stand around, play loud music and drink. I don't know whether you can hear the thump of the subwoofers or the revving of approximately 100 or so scooters, mopeds, and dirt bikes, but it was definately an assault on the senses. Noise pollution is a term that is foreign to the Dominicans. I have a lot more pictures of the city and I will post up a photo album soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, Carrie and family,
So happy to hear you've arrived at your new "home"! We've been praying for you and thinking of you daily. Look forward to seeing your pictures! Take care and enjoy! Sara Crang and family

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that culture shock hasn't taken over. Which side of the road do they drive on? Or does it matter? Fastest driver wins? Niverville bumkin

Anonymous said...

We are anxious to come out and share your adventure with you. I'm sure the need to get settled and the needs of those around you are over-whelming...but being the survivors you are..I'm confident you will conquer it all. Nan

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog faithfully, from AB, in hopes of hearing about some of your new adventures in the DR; glad you guys arrived safely. Keep the posts coming...

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie, et all...
I've been checking the blog every day! (No I have nothing better to do. I am still on holidays!) So glad to see this post. Was hoping you'd safely arrived! Loved the 'first impressions' photos, except the creepy, crawly ones! Yech.
Looking forward to hearing about your new home and the many adventures ahead!

Frank, Chris and Family said...

Loved your pictures...makes us feel lonely for you, your company and for life in a culture like that. Will call you in the next couple of days.
Frank & Chris for the gang

Steve-o said...

Its great to hear you are there safe and sound! I'll be checking here often, and you've got my prayers!
steve